Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Inside Her Soul

Do you have a sister? I do. She is the window into my soul. She is the reflection I see when I look in the mirror. She is the fixer of our family. She is the driving force of her family.
Sometime in the middle of reflecting, fixing and driving she forgot who she is. Actually I think she's like me in that she never knew and is now searching like mad for who that girl is.
I can tell you some more of who she is. She is a supporter. She is a giver. She is lost. She smiles even when it hurts. She loves unconditionally. She is a friend. She is a shoulder to cry on. She is funny. She cries when no one is watching.
When we were in town for a visit she asked me to shoot photos of her and my niece Charlie in her favorite place. I was honored. However, I think she was looking for images to reflect what she wants to show. That's not what I saw. That wasn't my mission. That's the advantage of being the little sister of a fixer-I do what I want and she tells me it's okay even if it's not :)
I saw the beautiful woman I knew was inside. Even though I love my sister's smile and laugh I also love it when she lets her guard down. I love letting her know that it's okay that everything is NOT okay. The people who really love you will still love you.
And the eyes of my sister and her daughter... Do you feel like you can see right into their soul?? I do. That's why I love the first photo so much.
I also got to shoot some photos of "The Cousins". The four of them are such a blessing to each other. They may not realize it now but what they have is incredibly special.
Donna,
I love you. You are a beautiful woman inside and out.
"A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities."
I hope I am always a true friend to you.
Much love,
rikki













No comments: